About Cemetery of the Good Shepherd
The Cemetery of the Good Shepherd has its earliest roots in the Civil War era as the cemetery for Zoar United Methodist Church. The church was organized circa 1861 with the land for the cemetery being donated by local parishioners whose land was adjacent to church grounds. Zoar United Methodist church was the very first Methodist church in the Steele Creek area of Charlotte, NC. The cemetery has been in use since the mid-1800s and contains many graves that use a simple stone as a marker.
In 2015, Zoar United Methodist church was merged with Good Shepherd United Methodist Church, which has a campus located about 5 miles to the north. Zoar United Methodist became Good Shepherd Church Zoar Campus and the cemetery was renamed to the Cemetery of the Good Shepherd. Good Shepherd Church renovated the cemetery and added a new columbarium in 2016.
For more information about Zoar United Methodist Church's history, visit the RootsWeb page.
For more information about Good Shepherd Church, visit their website.